Monday, September 22, 2008

New York Times Cover!

During grad school at New York University I found out that the journalism program was offering a combined MA and PhD degree and was giving out tuition wavers that amounted to $50,00.00 a year. BUT. They were only giving these financial aid packages to international students.

One German student was given the award and her writing sucked. The more international students that got tuition deals the more I got mad. NOT FAIR! And my international friends felt guilty -- but they weren't going to turn down free money. I didn't blame them.

What I did do was gather a bunch of my American student friends to bring a formal complaint to the student senate. We also brought live chickens, too. In boxes. Whoever could carry a chicken in a box through the streets of NYC was encouraged to. We had quite a lot of them, actually.

We debated. We yelled. We demanded justice! We lost. But we made front page news in the New York Times. See?....

Or at least I did. I was very proud.

We left the chickens behind....

No comments: